God’s plan is found in the names of the 12 son’s of Jacob. In Bible times, names given to babies were far more significant than today it seems and would often times relate to the events and circumstances surrounding their birth. You can look up each passage and see how this was true of the son’s of Jacob:
– Reuben – “The Lord has looked upon my affliction” (Genesis 29:32)
– Simeon – “The Lord has heard I was unloved” (Genesis 29:33)
– Levi – “My husband will be joined unto me” (Genesis 29:34)
– Judah – “I will praise the Lord” (Genesis 29:35)
– Zebulun – “Now my husband will dwell with me” (Genesis 30:20)
– Issachar – “God has given me my reward” (Genesis 30:18)
– Dan – “God has judged (or vindicated) me” (Genesis 30:6)
– Gad – “Good fortune has come” (Genesis 30:11)
– Asher – “Happy and blessed am I” (Genesis 30:13)
– Naphtali – “I have struggled” (Genesis 30:8)
– Joseph – “God has taken away my reproach” (Genesis 30:23)
– Benjamin – “Son of the right hand” (Genesis 35:18), who is the Son at God’s Right Hand? JESUS!!!
Well, when we string these names together in a paragraph form, here is what we get:
“The Lord has looked upon my affliction [and] has heard I was unloved. [But now] my Husband will be joined unto me. I will praise the Lord! Now my Husband will dwell with me [and] God has given me my reward. God has judged (or vindicated) me [and] good fortune has come. Happy and blessed am I. I have struggled, [but] God has taken away my reproach, [by the] Son of the Right Hand.”
That is the Gospel! Have you allowed God to take away you sins based on what Jesus did on the Cross? If you have not, you can have your sins forgiven and start a new relationship with God right now. Just pray a simple prayer something like this:
Dear Lord Jesus, I know that I am a sinner, and I ask for Your forgiveness. I believe You died for my sins and rose from the dead. I turn from my sins and invite You to come into my heart and life. I want to trust and follow You as my Lord and Savior. In Your Name.
If you just prayed that prayer, welcome to the family of God! Please CLICK HERE and let us know as we would like to encourage you in your new relationship with the Lord.
(This list of names was originally complied by Amy Van Gerpen)